This is a fantastic recipe for in camp or at home. A cast iron dutch oven can be used over coals or in the oven. It turns out perfect every time.
I don’t have exact measurements for ingredients. It will depend on the size of your tri-tip roast, and the size of your dutch oven.
Favorite herbs and spices is also your preference and your taste buds. I tend to use what I have in the cupboards, or in the garden at the time.
- 1-2 Onion
- Seasoning: garlic, season-all, your favorites, salt and pepper
Cook at 350F – 10” dutch 14 on top, 7 on bottom for 45 mins
- Heavily Season tri tip, cover, and let sit for a while to absorb flavors
- Slice 1 or 2 onions to put in with the tri-tip
- Sear meat on all sides over high heat to seal in flavor and juices.
- Place tri-tip and onion in the dutch oven over coals for approximately 45 mins. Check regularly until meat is done to your liking.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing to retain juices.